McLean vs. MSP

More
09 Dec 2015 21:43#1 by Pingman326
McLean vs. MSP was created by Pingman326
Is anyone familiar with McLean vs. Md state police ? I'm in that exact position and was wondering if MSI is fighting to get these BS law changes reversed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2015 12:38#2 by 6Pack
Replied by 6Pack on topic McLean vs. MSP
I'm not familiar with it by name, I'm sure esqappellate is. What is the short version of the case?

MSI Board of Director member
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle
CCW: Maryland, Pennsylvania, Utah

More
10 Dec 2015 12:46#3 by MXRider
Replied by MXRider on topic McLean vs. MSP
Do you have a link to the case?

MSI Treasurer

More
11 Dec 2015 23:00#4 by Pingman326
Replied by Pingman326 on topic McLean vs. MSP
A gun store owner found out he was not able to own guns in Maryland because of a crime he committed when he was 19 yrs old. At the time the crime , breaking storehouse, only carried a maximum 6 month sentence which does not disqualify a person from owning a firearm. Around 1995 a group of politicians decided to re-catergorize a bunch a crimes to make them disqualifying crimes. Breaking storehouse was one of them. McLean took his case to court figuring there would be a grandfather clause but lost the case.
I am in the same situation. I used to hunt, shoot clays, sport shooting, etc... Now I can't legally own a gun unless I get a pardon which I have been trying to do for the last 5 yrs.
I think this is something our organization should look in to.
I will support MSI as much as I can

Thank you,
Steve

More
11 Dec 2015 23:03#5 by Pingman326
Replied by Pingman326 on topic McLean vs. MSP
Google McLean vs. MSP for a complete pdf of the case

More
07 Jan 2016 16:50#6 by Minuteman
Replied by Minuteman on topic McLean vs. MSP
Fascinating. I hope he wins.

It seems this is one of the anti's strategies, they try to make more and more issues/crimes disqualifiers for firearm ownership. Someday, if they keep succeeding on this path, you might lose your right to own a firearm if you get a speeding ticket.

I'm open minded about this issue, and I've heard a wide variety of opinions. I'm currently of the mind that if an actual convicted criminal has served their time and probation; completely fulfilling all stages of their punishment, and they have not posed a threat to anyone or violated any other felonies, why not give them a second chance and let the legally own firearms. I read that most felons already have ready access to a firearm (usually through a spouse, friend, or another criminal); so as long as they are not still menacing society, let them? However for certain crimes, lets just say crimes of violence or against children or the elderly, I just can't go that far.

But a B&E a decade or more ago, and no violence, he should be able to own, or be an FFL; sure.

"...show them your support for gun rights" says NRA's Shannon Alford, she continues that an email or a phone call is important, but nothing has a bigger impact than talking directly to your representative. “Your voice in Annapolis is your vote in Annapolis,” says Alford.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Latest News

MSI October 2018 Update

1. Litigation Updates
    2. Medical Marijuana
    3. Attorney General Frosh and the Maryland Defense Act
    4. Southern Maryland Wear and Carry Permit Seminar Friday!
    5. Lots of Gun Shows in November!
    6. December Membership Meeting
Read more ...

Gun Owners of Maryland: BEWARE!

YOUR ATTENTION AND ACTION ARE NEEDED IMMEDIATELY

Read more ...

Contact Info

Headquarters:

Maryland Shall Issue®, Inc. 1332 Cape St. Claire Rd #342 Annapolis
MD 21409

Phone:   410-849-9197
Email: