10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support

More
27 Aug 2015 12:36#1 by cypherpunk
cypherpunk created the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
1. Prosecute, convict and sentence straw purchasers, those who attempt a straw purchase, and those who intend to unlawfully receive a firearm.
2. Prosecute , convict and sentence those who, on their state and federal application to purchase a firearm, intentionally lie.
3. Prosecute, convict and sentence prohibited persons who unlawfully possess a firearm and those who commit a violent crime while in possession of a firearm.
4. Report Maryland involuntary mental health commitments to the National Instant Check database so Maryland’s severely mentally can’t simply travel out of state to buy a long gun.
5. Move firearms purchase approval authority to the ATF’s National Instant Check system – freeing the Maryland State Police to investigate, arrest and help prosecute gun crimes.
6. Move the firearm purchase application and approval system online to improve accuracy, increase efficiency and reduce costs.
7. Introduce legislation to allow the Maryland Handgun Permit to serve as a Maryland Handgun Qualification License to increase efficiency and reduce costs, freeing MSP to focus on higher priorities such as violent criminals.
8. Well over half of gun crimes are perpetrated by repeat offenders. Focus efforts on prosecuting and convicting these individuals and insuring they serve sentences commensurate with the seriousness of their crimes.
9. ?
10. ?

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of MSI, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2015 14:17#2 by Minuteman
Minuteman replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
Good start. I don't like #3 because I believe in Constitutional Carry (ultimately), but realize the only way we are going to get there, is through licensed carry (ShallIssue) first. The second part of #3 is really a different item - violent criminals. The use of a weapon, and other extenuating circumstances are already addressed in the sentencing phase. I personally don't think there should be separate crime for the mere possession of something that could be considered a weapon. The issue is what people 'do'; that that could include their hands or feet; we already have enough laws on the books for this basic assault and battery issue.

I'd like the MDSP to be relieved of the responsibility of issuing permits all together; let the Handgun Review Board, review everyones application and packet, which includes a background check (and absolutely yes on #4 mental health).

I love, love, love #7; and I honestly think this could happen.

Maybe add- NO RESTRICTIONS on permits, and up the renewal to 10 years; but institute a policy to check yearly the status of the carrier like Utah does.

Maybe add- Prohibit 'Gun Free Zone' policies and practices. Allow these people we trust with guns in our parks and playgrounds to also be able to carry them in our schools and government instillations. (fed law I know).

Also add- anyone with a HQL or Handgun Permit (of any type from any state), not required to wait 7 days to pick up. Also add 'Designated Collectors' to the no wait list.

I'd also love it if the law explicitly said open or concealed carry; this way people with permits don't have to worry about being charged with 'brandishing' or people saying they are afraid of you.

I have other ideas, but want to hit up some other threads; MX made it clear he wants us to use this forum; I'm trying to make up for my passive protest of its earlier incarnations. :-)

"...show them your support for gun rights" says NRA's Shannon Alford, she continues that an email or a phone call is important, but nothing has a bigger impact than talking directly to your representative. “Your voice in Annapolis is your vote in Annapolis,” says Alford.

More
30 Aug 2015 15:19 - 30 Aug 2015 15:19#3 by 6Pack
6Pack replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support

Minuteman wrote: I'm trying to make up for my passive protest of its earlier incarnations. :-)

:banana:

I know some other States have better specifics on brandishing; that simply leaning over to get something and the grip becomes visible (obvious non-intentional showing) is not brandishing and therefor not illegal. I want to see that in our regs.

MSI Board of Director member
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle
CCW: Maryland, Pennsylvania, Utah
Last Edit: 30 Aug 2015 15:19 by 6Pack.

More
04 Sep 2015 18:23#4 by fchan
fchan replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
I agree with all of the above! :)

MD HQL
NRA

More
04 Sep 2015 19:11#5 by rambling-one
rambling-one replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
While at the dentist's the other day a guy came in wearing a light polo shirt and a full size semi-auto underneath. No metal showing, but talk about printing! I'd hate to be cited in that circumstance.

More
10 Sep 2015 18:59 - 10 Sep 2015 19:11#6 by Minuteman
Minuteman replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
I see people carrying all the time in public. I must admit I teach a class on this, and I look for it. 90+% of the time I'm encouraged when I see someone carrying a concealed firearm, because we, as a society are safer when responsible, law-abiding citizens with training are carrying in public.

Last night I was at a friends house and noticed he and a high probability that another at the little get together were carrying. Before I left, the conversation went into home carry, and he lifted his shirt very mater-of-factly to show that yes he was armed. It was very comforting to know that he and others take 'our' safety and security seriously. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think all of my friends and close associates are gun owners and many, many of them carry on a regular basis. Good for all of us.

"...show them your support for gun rights" says NRA's Shannon Alford, she continues that an email or a phone call is important, but nothing has a bigger impact than talking directly to your representative. “Your voice in Annapolis is your vote in Annapolis,” says Alford.
Last Edit: 10 Sep 2015 19:11 by Minuteman.

More
11 Sep 2015 08:49#7 by 6Pack
6Pack replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
:thumbsup:

MSI Board of Director member
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle
CCW: Maryland, Pennsylvania, Utah

More
11 Sep 2015 10:15#8 by rambling-one
rambling-one replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support

Minuteman wrote: I see people carrying all the time in public. I must admit I teach a class on this, and I look for it. 90+% of the time I'm encouraged when I see someone carrying a concealed firearm, because we, as a society are safer when responsible, law-abiding citizens with training are carrying in public.

Here's hoping that one day you are able to "see" me carrying in Maryland.

More
20 Sep 2015 12:59#9 by woodstock
woodstock replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
maybe on item 9, allow instructors to report individuals who appear to be "mentally defective", i.e., someone who displays obvious signs of mental issues trying to pursue the HQL to buy a gun. i have had my share of those i would not certify for the HQL due to the nature of their limits in understanding the objectives being taught.

on item 10, perhaps instructors can report suspected straw purchases, classic example, wife trying to buy to protect the home but the husband has a record of violence/felony conviction and sends her out to get the gun. i have seen my share with this too.

very troubling and a very slippery slope to navigate.

More
23 Sep 2015 15:21#10 by Minuteman
I know what you mean, and generally agree; but I don't think we need a law to achieve these additional safeguards. We (as just regular citizens) can already 'report' any violation of crime or inform the MD State Police Handgun Licensing Division if we think someone should not have a permit. Unfortunately some antis are already doing this, and worse - calling the police to report a 'man with a gun' in public; which puts everyone in some jeopardy because the police must take that seriously, and will take some time to find out you are legitimate and have a permit. This is another reason why I personally prefer CC over OC, but both should be allowed, and I support both camps. I do not think it's a good idea to ask others if they are carrying, it's kind of rude actually, and certainly not touching or 'testing' that person; very amateurish. There are times when it may be appropriate to let someone know you are carrying, like in a potential dangerous situation, you let your buddy know, so if you go down he may be able to use your gun to defend you both. I have (lawfully of course) carried more than one gun in part, for this very purpose, so I could immediately arm my buddy, whom I know is trained but not legal to carry, in the event of an emergency.

More
25 Sep 2015 09:55#11 by dblas
dblas replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support

cypherpunk wrote: 1. Prosecute, convict and sentence straw purchasers, those who attempt a straw purchase, and those who intend to unlawfully receive a firearm.
2. Prosecute , convict and sentence those who, on their state and federal application to purchase a firearm, intentionally lie.
3. Prosecute, convict and sentence prohibited persons who unlawfully possess a firearm and those who commit a violent crime while in possession of a firearm.
4. Report Maryland involuntary mental health commitments to the National Instant Check database so Maryland’s severely mentally can’t simply travel out of state to buy a long gun.
5. Move firearms purchase approval authority to the ATF’s National Instant Check system – freeing the Maryland State Police to investigate, arrest and help prosecute gun crimes.
6. Move the firearm purchase application and approval system online to improve accuracy, increase efficiency and reduce costs.
7. Introduce legislation to allow the Maryland Handgun Permit to serve as a Maryland Handgun Qualification License to increase efficiency and reduce costs, freeing MSP to focus on higher priorities such as violent criminals.
8. Well over half of gun crimes are perpetrated by repeat offenders. Focus efforts on prosecuting and convicting these individuals and insuring they serve sentences commensurate with the seriousness of their crimes.
9. ?
10. ?

1. Perhaps a PIA on the number of Straw purchases encountered by MSP over the last 10 years (15, 20)? Then a PIA to the MDAG for the same time period for number prosecuted or turned over to USDOJ for federal prosecution?

2.Same PIA as #1 for MSP but for mis stating information and how many have been referred to the MDAG? PIA to the MDAG for number prosecuted over the same time frame?

3. Short of doing the legwork via MD Case Search, how do we hold County SAs and the MDAG responsible for this? I really like the idea, of tracking this.

4. How can this be measured in terms of total records of prohibited persons vs total records reported?

5. MSP and the AG under Ganglier wanted to do this back in 2012, the Governor said no. With that said, we make the proposal to the new Governor, the Secretary of State Police and the new Commander of Licensing Division.

6. Being worked on by MSP, not sure on a target date for completion.

7. Increase the permit length for a carry permit to 5 years, include the HQL (Like CT) and have the permit serve as a NICS compliant document for purchases (i.e. no NICS check required for licensed/permit holders per BATFE standards).

8. How does this get tracked short of the manpower to do so via MD Judicial Case Search? I like the idea and perhaps the AA County SA has a great idea in tracking plea bargains and their affects?

More
14 Jan 2016 22:00#12 by CrazyIvan
CrazyIvan replied the topic: 10 Common Sense Firearm Ideas We Should All Support
I have a concern with #3. I work in healthcare. The hospital system that employs me has several hospitals, some of which are residential mental health institutions. What concerns me is that the wording of the HIPAA laws prevents disclosure of PHI (Protected Health Information). Unless federal law is changed, reporting mental health issues could be interpreted as a HIPAA breach. Any such breach could subject the healthcare provider and their employer to large fines, loss of license and jail time if the breach is severe enough. Just because Obama declares that he will reduce enforcement of HIPAA to accommodate disclosure doesn't mean that the law has been changed. I would hate to have to choose between obeying the HIPAA laws and obeying a mandate to report. Healthcare providers are already caught in enough red tape with the ACA.

Time to create page: 0.823 seconds

Latest News

Bump Stock Lawsuit Filed!

On June 11, 2018, MSI and four individuals filed a class action suit challenging SB 707, the Bump Stock Bill that was signed into law by Governor Hogan on April 24.

Read more ...

Maryland State Police - Upcoming MyLicense Portal Outage

The Maryland State Police's Online Portal for HQL Applications and Handgun Instructors will be down from June 13th through June 15th

From the Maryland State Police:

Please be advised, the Maryland State Police Licensing Division's MyLicense system (https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx) will be down for important updates and scheduled maintenance beginning Wednesday, June 13, 2018 through Friday, June 15, 2018 and will be unavailable for those days.

Read more ...

Contact Info

Headquarters:

Maryland Shall Issue®, Inc. 1332 Cape St. Claire Rd #342 Annapolis
MD 21409

Phone:   410-849-9197
Email:  
Web:   www.marylandshallissue.org